Every new year is significant, but 2020 feels especially important. Maybe its because it’s the start of a new decade as well as a new year. Whatever the reason, the push for self-improvement is particularly strong among people this year. Whether it’s running, saving for that vacation or just breaking a bad habit, New Year’s resolutions are all about becoming the best version of yourself.
At Welsch Hearing Aid Company, we believe this should also involve taking better care of your hearing. That’s why we urge everyone this year to make a hearing test a part of their health goals.
How do you know if you need a hearing test?
If you are suffering from any of the signs of hearing loss, such as having problems hearing conversations in places with background noise or experienced any buzzing, whistling, or ringing in your ears, then book a hearing test immediately! Once your hearing loss begins to impact your health and social life, a hearing test is necessary. This time may come sooner than you think – a recent study found that it people wait an average of seven years before they do something about their hearing.
Hearing loss disproportionately affects older adults. so if you’re over 60, it’s a good idea to have an annual check-up anyway, so you can detect any improvements to your hearing as soon as possible.
The benefits of better hearing
There are so many reasons why improved hearing can help you achieve you goals this year. Here are a few of the most common benefits:
- A reduced risk of falls: Research shows that even those with mild hearing loss are three times more likely than people with no hearing loss to suffer from accidental falls. For those with hearing aids, the risk is greatly diminished. Hearing aids lower the risk of falling as they enable wearers to be much more conscious of their environment and specific auditory alerts that would otherwise go overlooked.
- A reduced risk of dementia: Recent research has pointed to a connection between hearing loss and Alzheimer’s disease. Studies at the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine have indicated that people with mild hearing loss had double the risk of developing dementia as those without hearing loss. Thankfully, the use of hearing aids can significantly reduce the cognitive decline which is said to lead to dementia.
- Better emotional health: Untreated hearing loss can make people more socially isolated. This is because they tend to withdraw when the work of understanding others in noisy places proves greater than the enjoyment derived from social interaction. Quite simply, it becomes easer to stay at home and watch TV.
Over time, this can cause loneliness, anxiety and depression. By using hearing aids, this inclination for socializing returns, and the development of emotional problems can be arrested.
What to expect from a hearing test?
You might be anxious about hearing tests. you might wonder if they are painful and whether it will take up too much of your time. But don’t worry! A hearing test is pain free and non-intrusive, and from start to finish it is a minor procedure. Hearing tests are use to measure the type and extent of any hearing loss you have.
Here’s a quick rundown of what to expect:
- To rule out certain causes of hearing loss, the hearing specialist will ask you questions about your medical history, including any existing medications.
- They then inspect your ear with an otoscope. This is to check the presence of, such as earwax build-up, that can obstruct sound from entering the ear.
- They then check your hearing in a broad range of ways.
- If a hearing loss is detected, information about the nature and configuration of hearing loss can be gleaned from these tests. This information is provided in an audiogram, which displays your hearing abilities.
- If hearing loss is detected, treatment options will be discussed at this stage. Hearing aids are commonly recommended as they are the most effective treatment for mild to severe hearing loss.
Welsch Hearing Aid Company
Our professional hearing experts will help you find the right hearing device from our range of top manufacturers, we will also fit them in the optimal way to give you the hearing support you need to help you become the best version of yourself this year. Contact us today to set up an appointment!